Built in the 1720’s, Castletown is Ireland’s largest and earliest Palladian style house located in Celbridge in County Kildare. The heritage building is now a museum open to visitors for guided tours. The project consisted of two phases of upgrades. Phase 1 consisted of the refurbishment of the existing East Wing as a corporate level hospitality facility including function rooms, kitchens and offices. Phase 2 included the upgrade of the existing farmyard buildings for use as large retail outlets, coffee shop, interpretation centre and petting farm.
The East Wing of Castletown House accommodated the stables of the original listed development. The stables were restored to their former glory allowing both exhibitions and hospitality functions to be hosted. The existing Long Room and Billiards Room on the first floor level were refurbished to allow for both conferencing and dining events. Administration and catering requirements were included in the redevelopment design. Low-energy technologies such as Variable Speed Pumps, Low Wattage Lighting and Heat Recovery Ventilation to the Billiards/Long Room were implemented to serve the facility efficiently, sustainably and reduce overall operational costs.
In addition to the East Wing refurbishment, Axiseng was commissioned by OPW to lead the M&E designs for the buildings renovation for use as a café and interactive farmyard environment where the public can interact with farm animals.
The farmyard was originally constructed in the late 1700’s to provide and process all meat, poultry and beverages for the entire household and the farmyard buildings comprised the original Brewers House, Large Cowshed and a variety of outhouses. The overall restoration and conservation of one of Ireland’s most important houses will preserve the architectural heritage for future generations and international visitors.